Thursday, October 18, 2012

FLYING ARTS AWARD, continued

As announced in a previous post, I am thrilled to be the recipient of the prize for my 'Devil's Dice' fibre piece in the 2012 Flying Arts exhibition and award.
I thought it was worth another post as I am receiving all sorts of congraulations and accolades from near and far - including a full page in this week's local paper and even a hand signed letter from Campbell Newman [Qld Premier]!!!
I'd like to say 'thanks' to Flying Arts [and Gabriella], TAFTA [and Janet de Boer], and all the supporters out there who have sent me good wishes.

About Flying Arts - Flying Arts promotes the appreciation, practice and professional development of the visual and media arts throughout Queensland, especially for artists and communities with limited access. They offer arts development workshops and events in a wide variety of genre, delivered by a team of professional artists and facilitators. The exhibition will travel all over Qld in 2013.

About TAFTA - TAFTA has been a supporter of ‘Flying Arts’ for many years, offering an annual bursary for a fibre artist who exhibits in the annual touring exhibition. I have been awarded flights, fees and accommodation to the 2013 Textile Fibre Forum of my choice.  I will go to Geelong on Sept/October and do a week long workshop.


Statement about the work:

‘Devil’s Dice are iron ore cubes which can change to pyrite then limonite through a process of ‘pseudomorphism’.  This work relates to the mining of iron ore in Australia.
The ‘devil’ is a good metaphor for the industry and the dice has connotations of ‘dicing with death’, and taking risky chances. Will Mankind one day decide that the risk of mining the earth was too great?
My silk shapes reflect the fragility of the situation and the process of metamorphosis that happens not only to the iron ore and the silk but to the whole universe’.


I started with undyed silks which I steeped in green tea and rust for a few days. The resulting tones of brown and beige were a happy surprise. The fabric was cut, stitched and patched with the traditional Korean ‘pojagi’ style seams. Strips of the patched fabric were then constructed into 3D triangular forms. During htis process, I remembered some cubes of iron ore I had found in the outback many years ago. The connection to the pojagi forms and the current controversy surrounding the mining industry in Queensland was too strong to be ignored.

 ...some details. I love the interplay of lines, shapes, textures and shadows.
 



7 comments:

  1. Congrats - Noela - well done - I love the colours, textures and shapes you have created!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. as I said previously, I think these are simply gorgeous. Love the colours, lines, concept - everything about them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. joli concept..très réfléchi.. bon vol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the concept; the execution and the end result - Lovely! Congratulations Neola.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The whole concept is awesome. A well deserved win Noela.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A big congratulations Noela, thanks for sharing your process and for the up close look at your lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete